Wed, 19 Aug 2026 Kyiv 18:31Berlin 17:31London 16:31 UKR / DE / EN

Merz criticizes Ben Gvir’s statements on killings of Palestinians

German Friedrich Merz has sharply criticized Israeli Minister Itamar Ben Gvir's remarks about targeted killings of Palestinians. His spokesman said these 'inhumane and internationally unlawful appeals' were unacceptable.

Merz criticizes Ben Gvir’s statements on killings of Palestinians
Photo: Tagesschau

German Friedrich Merz has sharply criticized Israeli Minister Itamar Ben Gvir's remarks about targeted killings of Palestinians. His spokesman said these 'inhumane and internationally unlawful appeals' were unacceptable.

German Friedrich Merz (CDU) has sharply condemned the remarks of Israeli Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir about targeted killings of Palestinians. The “inhumane and internationally unlawful appeals” by Ben Gvir were “unacceptable,” said Deputy Government Spokesman Sebastian Hille.

A few days ago, Ben Gvir said there were people in the Gaza Strip who did not deserve to live. He called for “targeted eliminations every night” of 30 or 40 people in the Palestinian territory. He said this was not only about those who posed an immediate danger.

This was not the first scandal involving Ben Gvir. Ireland, France, Spain, and Slovenia imposed entry bans on him.

Germany has so far been cautious on the issue of sanctions. As government spokesman Hille now said, the EU foreign ministers are to discuss measures against “radical politicians” at their meeting in early September. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas will then “present new proposals.”

At the meeting, according to Hille, there will also be discussion of a possible response to Israel’s settlement policy in the West Bank, where the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants to build 1,200 housing units. “As the occupying power, Israel must treat Palestinians with dignity, protect their property, and ensure public administration and humanitarian supply,” Hille said.

Chancellor Merz is following the recent steps of the Israeli government with great concern. His message was: “There must be no further annexation steps in the West Bank, neither formal ones nor political, construction-related, or other measures that increasingly obviously amount to annexation. They stand in the way of a two-state solution.”

A spokesman for the Foreign Office also criticized the planned settlement construction. It violates international law and endangers the prospect of a negotiated two-state solution. The Palestinian population would be the main victim. The federal government also rejects any Israeli annexation plans.

Israel’s Housing Ministry has tendered the approximately 1,200 apartments in the internationally criticized settlement project “E1,” a strategically important area between Jerusalem and the settlement of Ma’ale Adumim. The tender period is to end on October 19, shortly before the Israeli parliamentary elections, as Israeli media reported. The construction of “E1” would effectively split the occupied West Bank and cut off Jerusalem from the Palestinian territories.

Source: Tagesschau